Sam Frost picks builder Sasha Mielczarek during the first season of the Australian Bachelorette in 2015.
The father of The Bachelorette winner, Sasha Mielczarek, has lost the right to work in his own tattoo parlours because he is an "influential member" of the Rebel bikie club.
Aleksander Gustav Mielczarek, or Sasha Snr, had been refused his tattooist licence after NSW Police deemed he was not a "fit and proper person" and against the public interest to grant him one due to links to the outlaw motorcycle gang.
The 53-year-old, whose son Sasha Jnr was chosen ahead of 14 other contestants by Sam Frost on last year's season of the hit Channel 10 reality series, established two successful parlours with his ex-wife at Picton, on Sydney's south-western fringe, and at Bowral in the Southern Highlands.
But the future of both is now uncertain after the Civil and Administrative Tribunal on Monday ruled in favour of police and with his ex-wife wanting to walk away from the businesses.
In evidence tendered during his hearing, Mr Mielczarek did not deny his involvement with the Rebels club, saying he joined the gang 16 years ago because he was interested in "custom car building and motorcycles".
His criminal record consisted of three traffic offences and said he had kept a distance from drugs and those in the club involved in nefarious activities.
Mr Mielczarek, pictured below (centre) with his family including Sasha Jnr (left), said the Rebels no longer existed as an entity in NSW, with the president Alex Vella locked out of the country and the club not having met for 16 months.
He had also banned Rebel colours inside his parlours, did not employ fellow gang members and he had refrained from using club colours of red, white and blue on the front of his two establishments.
The tribunal was told he had not publicly renounced his membership of the gang because he feared he would suffer a similar fate to another former member who was kidnapped and beaten when after announcing he was leaving the group.
Mr Mielczarek said he was instead focused on charity work with children's hospitals and, having recently undergone prostate cancer surgery, was enrolling with the Cancer Council of Australia to become a counsellor for men diagnosed with the same disease.
He said his sole income came from the two tattoo parlours and if he was not given a licence he would be forced to close and his 20 employees would also lose their jobs.
During the tribunal hearing, which began last November, Mr Mielczarek's Picton tattoo parlour was targeted in a drive-by shooting and the owner of the business next to his, Darren Wallace, was shot dead by a man who then killed himself.
Mr Wallace was also a member of the Rebels bikie club but the tribunal was told that Mr Mielczarek had only met him on two occasions and the two men were not friends.
In handing down his decision on Monday, tribunal member Professor Emeritus Geoffrey deQuincy Walker said Mr Mielczarek's business maintained high standards and noted his "extensive involvement with charitable works", and his employing of young people in south-western Sydney.
But he said he was also the public face of two businesses and was regarded as an "influential member" of an outlaw motorcycle gang that had a "long history of involvement in violent crime".
"The public would expect that a person with the applicant's connections would not be granted such a licence," he said.
Professor Walker said the
decision by police to refuse Mr Mielczarek was the right one and the
decision would stand.