Home Rides  Events Tech Links

Tasmania Police at the Rebels Motorcycle Club clubhouse on the corner of Letitia and Burnett streets in North Hobart.
Tasmania Police at the Rebels Motorcycle Club clubhouse on the corner of Letitia and Burnett streets in North Hobart.

Tasmania police and forensic officers swarm over Rebels’ North Hobart clubhouse

THE Rebels outlaw motorcycle gang headquarters at North Hobart has been declared a crime scene as police continue to investigate an alleged serious assault at the weekend.

The investigation comes just a day after two Rebels bikies were evicted from a Qantas flight at Hobart Airport for intimidatory behaviour directed at the airline’s staff.

Officers removed the pair from a plane bound for Melbourne on Sunday evening.

But police said they would not be pressing charges because they were not violent and no one was hurt.

They were allowed to book another flight.

Four other people linked to the Rebels also left plane, which was delayed by more than an hour.

The plane’s pilot alerted police to the bikies, who were causing “fear and apprehension” aboard, Assistant Commissioner Glenn Frame said.

Hobart CIB is investigating the alleged assault at the Burnett St property, on the weekend of a large gang gathering in Tasmania.

Police would not commenting on the circumstances of the incident, but Mr Frame said police feared for the alleged victim’s welfare and encouraged them to seek medical attention.

Up to 400 Rebels outlaw motorcycle gang members have been in Tasmania for a ride across the state that started on Friday.

The alleged serious assault comes four years after a woman was raped by a Rebels member at the same clubhouse.

Tasmania Police at the Rebels Motorcycle Club clubhouse.

Forensic investigators spent Sunday and Monday at the clubhouse, which has been closed off to its members.

“They’ve been relatively co-operative but I wouldn’t say helpful,” Mr Frame said.

A heavy police presence greeted riders who arrived on Friday in Devonport on the Spirit of Tasmania.

Two knives were confiscated, four riders tested positive to drugs, including ice, and 12 were served with Australian Taxation Office assessment notices.


While a large number of Rebels members have left the state, police will continue to monitor the activities of the remaining members.

“These members are due to leave the state over the coming days — we will continue to monitor their activities as a matter of priority,” Mr Frame said.

— with AAP