Suburbs locked down as officers chase fugitive who rammed police car at Salisbury Park
July 20, 2012
THE violent Finks bikie who yesterday rammed a police car and went on the run across Adelaide's northern suburbs is understood to be preparing to turn himself in.
Christopher Shah, 27, a martial arts expert who once attacked three men with a baseball bat and a machete, is still on the run this morning after armed STAR Group officers searched various homes in the Salisbury Park and Salisbury Heights area.
SA Police have asked has Shah's lawyer to arrange for him contact police so he can be taken into custody without incident.
This morning, adelaidenow spoke to a woman at Shah's Salisbury Park home. Before shutting the door, she said the wanted man had been in touch with his lawyer and was preparing turn himself over to police.
While the search went on last night, occupants were confined to homes and a school.
Crime Gangs Task Force officers were looking for Shah about 11am yesterday over an incident on Sunday when he allegedly evaded police.
He then allegedly rammed the officers' unmarked Holden Commodore with his luxury black BMW 4WD.
Injured officers - one of whom was treated for muscle soreness at Lyell McEwin Hospital - chased after Shah on foot as he reportedly fled across Main North Rd.
Chief Inspector Tony Crameri said the two detectives who pursued Shah were lucky to escape the crash with minor injuries.
"It was an extremely big hit by the vehicle," he said. "We're very proud of the officers, the way they were able to continue their duties."
He said detectives had spoken to members of the Finks motorcycle club about Shah and would continue to do so.
A Damian Drive resident told The Advertiser she heard a man run across her roof about 11.20am. He jumped down before hiding behind a gate in her yard.
"I heard him across my roof and then I saw part of him in my front yard," said the woman, who did not want to be identified. "He was hiding behind the gate looking back to see if anyone was watching him. I was just inside doing housework and heard this thump, thump, thump across my roof."
The woman said she called police and shortly after she heard a helicopter circling above her home.
Moments after she heard the helicopter, the woman said she saw police dogs and handlers arrive.
Officers began blocking off nearby streets.
Salisbury Heights Primary School, on nearby Target Hill Rd, also went into lockdown and officers were posted there during the manhunt.
Police closed streets around Damian Drive as five heavily armed STAR Group officers searched nearby Alison Close door-to-door for about two hours.
They left empty-handed about 2.15pm but uniformed police kept security at Alison Close until three STAR Group police returned about 2.30pm.
They entered the yard of an unoccupied house before six detectives, wearing bullet-proof vests and carrying firearms, joined them at the home for about 15 minutes before leaving, again empty-handed.
After police left, a resident said she watched police searching houses. "It's a bit frightening," she said.
Shah, of Salisbury, is due to face Elizabeth Magistrates Court on July 30 on counts of driving under disqualification and at a dangerous speed at Semaphore Park in April this year.
Shah's previous contact with the courts was in 2006, when he was jailed for two and half years over a brutal bashing.
A Supreme Court jury found Shah and two other men guilty of using baseball bats and a samurai sword to attack three men who were walking through Parafield Gardens in 2005. The trio had pleaded not guilty to wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and common assault.
Shah subsequently lodged an appeal against his conviction, and was acquitted.