Australasian biker news

Home Bike News Rides Other Stuff Events Tech Links Adults Only

Bikie leader's throat cut in prison attack

THE former president of the southside Rebels bikie gang had his throat slashed in a Mobilong Prison attack.

Guy Anthony Clift was attacked by another inmate late on Friday, suffering a 12cm gash to his throat that required surgery at Adelaide's Murray Bridge Hospital.

Police and Correctional Services investigations have so far revealed the attack was not gang related, but most likely involved a feud between Clift and another inmate serving a sentence for minor offences.

Clift, who was sentenced on drug trafficking and firearms convictions, has told detectives he does not want to give a statement or any further action taken.

Mobilong sources yesterday told the Sunday Mail  the prisoner who attacked Clift was immediately placed in an isolation cell for his own safety.

"It is highly likely he will be shifted to another prison, but the question is which one?" a source said.

"He has pretty much ensured he will be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his stay with us. The fact Clift has specifically told police he does not want any action taken says it all. He knows he has soldiers in just about every prison in the state so he will settle this his way."

Clift's attacker is understood to have no gang associations; a "personality clash" between the pair sparked the incident. "They have been at one another verbally for a little while," the source said.

"The slashing appears to have occurred after Clift taunted this bloke with a childish gesture.

"He then went into his cell and grabbed a razor and let Clift have it. Clift was lucky it wasn't much worse."

Clift has been at Mobilong Prison since being sentenced last year in the District Court, after a long-running police operation that involved the interception of 8000 phone calls with associates; $270,000 in cash was found stashed in a wall cavity at his mother's house and 5000 ecstasy tablets were uncovered at his sister's.

He was being held at Mobilong, rather than Yatala, in order to keep him separated from a bitter rival - former Finks bikie Eddie Yost, who is serving a life sentence at Yatala for the sadistic murder of his girlfriend.

Clift's firearms charges related to another operation in which he and five other Rebels members were arrested. Detectives found two semi-automatic pistols at his Flagstaff Hill house and hidden in his Subaru vehicle.

Clift's mother was initially charged with money laundering, but that charge was dropped as part of Clift's guilty plea deal.

Read more


Hit Counter