Home Rides  Events Tech Links


Former Rebel turned Fink, Domenico Nardi, identified as victim in Koonawarra shooting: court

Local News>Shannon Tonkin2 Feb 2017, 5:35 p.m.

A man shot in broad daylight at a Koonawarra home last month was a known bikie who had recently patched over from the Rebels to the Finks, a court has heard.

Domenico Nardi, 25, was hit in the forearm by one of two bullets fired into the front yard of a Galong Crescent home by an unknown assailant in a blue car just after 9.30am on January 15.

He was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to Wollongong Hospital. He was later transferred to a hospital in Sydney for surgery.

The Mercury can reveal Nardi, a convicted criminal, was once a member of the Rebels outlaw motorcycle gang, however has told police he “patched over” to join rival club the Finks during his last stint behind bars.

While Nardi has refused to provide officers investigating his shooting with a statement on what occurred or divulge who may have been behind it, police believe it was a targeted attack carried out in retaliation for his defection.

The Mercury can also reveal the house at which the shooting took place belongs to Troy Fornaciari, a known member of the Finks’ Lake Illawarra chapter, and that Nardi’s presence at the home that day was in direct violation of bail conditions banning Nardi from associating with members of a criminal organisation due to his involvement in an upcoming NSW District Court trial.

Court documents said Nardi spoke briefly with police from his hospital bed, telling detectives he had gone to Fornaciari’s house that day to pick up his car, which had been left there by his brother.

But when pressed for details, he said he’d been there to give Fornaciari’s girlfriend money to fix her car.

He denied going to the house to see Fornaciari, however police rearrested him for breaching his bail.

He fronted Wollongong District Court on Wednesday wearing prison greens and sporting a stiff support bandage around his wounded arm. His lawyer asked for bail to be reinstated so Nardi could continue rehabilitation treatment on his injured hand.

The court heard Nardi had regular sessions with a nerve specialist at a hospital in Sydney and, if remanded in custody and unable to access that treatment, risked permanent damage to his hand.

Judge Andrew Haesler agreed to release Nardi, conceding his chances of getting such rehabilitation therapy from Corrective Services was “about zero”.

As part of his release, Nardi’s curfew has been increased by three hours to between 6pm and 6am.

He has also been further banned from attending any premises that could be associated with criminal organisations including motorcycle shops, tattoo parlours and licensed premises.

Nardi’s court cases have been listed for mention on on February 14.