The father of
Brownlow Medal favourite Dustin Martin will not
be able to attend the presentation at
Melbourne's Crown Palladium on September 25,
after Immigration Minister Peter Dutton stepped
in and denied him a visa.
Martin's visa was cancelled for the safety of
the Australian community because of his criminal
record and association with outlaw motorcycle
gangs," Dutton's office
said in a statement.
Martin] should have thought about the
consequences of his actions on his family and
the victims of crimes at the time of his
superstar Martin is expected to win Brownlow
this year. He's so heavily favoured, the
bookies' odds of $1.06 mean he's statistically
16 times more likely to win it than not win it.
year's winner Patrick Dangerfield not been
suspended for a tackle
which to many eyes looked innocuous, the Geelong
star would also be strongly in the running.
But the medal
looks to be Martin's for the keeping, and there
are people at AFL headquarters who would be
quietly squirming at the prospect of a man who
once had to apologise after
threatening a female
restaurant patron with a chopstick
winning the league's prestigious
It would have
been potentially an even worse look if Martin's
dad had attended. But the Government has stepped
The Age reports,
on Monday Dutton had an amendment passed to the
Migration Act to stop Martin's father, and up to
20 other people whose visas have been cancelled,
from re-entering Australia.
Malcolm Turnbull stuck by his minister on
Melbourne radio station 3AW on Thursday.
Martin's] father has had his visa cancelled
because of his criminal record and association
with outlaw motorcycle gangs," Turnbull said.
are outlaw motorcycle gang members, who are
criminals or threats to national security cannot
stay in the country".
told Triple M that he feels for the Martin
family in the circumstances, but reiterated his
point that he had to "take into consideration
not only those people that have been victims of
crimes committed by outlaw motorcycle gang
members and those associated with them, but also
the future impact".
announced last week that he
would remain with Richmond
in a seven-year deal worth $8m despite some huge
offers from rival clubs. Shane Martin appeared
on The Footy Show after that.
"Love you son
and I'm very proud, from my heart," he said. "To
be just taken away for no reason and breaking up
the family. I think it's pretty stupid."